What is a Kill a Watt meter? (Clamp-on Ammeter)
A Kill a Watt meter (Clamp-on Ammeter) is an appliance which is capable of measuring the electricity consumption of the appliance directly connected to it. It was first manufactured by P3 International. It has a LCD display which shows various parameters like voltage, current, true power, apparent power, reactive power, power factor, energy consumed in kWh for the connected appliance.
Use of a Kill a Watt meter
The use of a Kill a Watt meter is very simple. It has to be connected in the line between the power supply and the appliance of which you want to measure the power consumption.
Suppose you want to measure the power consumption of your Television. Unplug power cable of the Television from the power source and plug it in the port in the Kill a Watt meter. Now plug this Kill a Watt meter in the power point. That’s it!
Leave it as it is for a few days or hours, whichever is suitable to you and after that, you will see that there is a reading on the LCD screen of the Kill a Watt meter. You can see other readings like voltage, power factor and highly, you can see how many unit or energy in KWh your Television has consumed.
Different types of Kill a Watt meters
Kill a Watt meters are available in different variants. Although the basic functionality remains the same across all the meters, there are some additional features which are added in different variants.
1. P4400: It is the First and the most basic type of a Kill a Watt meter.
2. P4460 Kill A Watt EZ: The biggest inadequacy of a Kill a Watt meter is that it cannot store information. Its memory lasts as long as it is plugged in the power supply. As soon as it is unplugged from the power supply, the readings on the LCD screen vanish. To deal with this, this particular model includes a backup battery which enables it to store the information after it is disconnected from the power supply. So you don’t have to write down the readings manually.
3. P4320 Kill A Watt PS: It is a more advanced type of the basic Kill a Watt meter. It is combined into an eight-outlet power-strip. So it is capable of protecting against power surges and can also measure leakage current.
Advantages of Kill a Watt meters
1. It is a small and handy device for measuring power consumption of any electrical appliance. Nothing like the home energy meters, it measures the consumption of an individual appliance giving you useful information about the performance of your appliances like efficiency (you can also check derating of an appliance).
2. It is very easy to use. It does not have any wires and can simply be plugged in the power point to have complete information about the behavior of a particular appliance.
3. It is quite useful in determining the standby power or vampire power or phantom power of an appliance. Although it does not measure it to a high degree of accuracy, but it is way better than many regular meters which have a least count of 1 kW whereas a Kill a Watt meter has a least count of 0.1 kW.
Where can you buy a Kill a Watt meter?
A Kill a Watt meter can be obtained from online gateways like Amazon or EBay. A cost for the meter is around 2500Rs. The cost may vary according to the different features available in it.